St. Michael's Academy & St. Michael's College

The rectory built by Father John Sweeney in 1846 became Bishop Rogers' episcopal residence in 1860. It also became the home of several seminarians whose course of studies was directed by the Bishop. These seminarians became professors of St. Michael's Male Academy, formerly known as St. Patrick's Tempereance Hall School. The Bishop's Residence, home of seminarians Morrisey, Patterson, Upton, Caulfield, and O'Sullivan, became St. Michael's College in 1861. It became a model institution before the end of the decade and produced many fine scholars, such as Richard Quigley.

St. Michael's Academy (circled), next to St. Michael's Pro-Cathedral.